As a building manager at Williams & McDaniel Property Management (W&M), he/she must ensure the assigned residential property(s) is operated and maintained in a cost-effective, safe and efficient manner as per the operating parameters and standards of the company.
This individual is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of interior and exterior of the assigned building(s) which includes sweeping, mopping and waxing hallways, stairs, floors and elevator; washing building windows, interior walls and ceilings.
During the summer months, he/she should tend to the building(s)' plants and it includes activities such as mowing the lawn, watering and tending to plants as necessary. During the winter months, he/she is responsible for shoveling the snow on the sidewalk and parking areas.
In addition to maintaining the curb appeal of the assigned building(s), the incumbent is required to act as the primary representative of W&M with strong customer orientation to attend to tenants' property related issues. It may include minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing and electrical systems. For all other problems that the building manager has no expertise, he/she should coordinate with the sub-contractors to do the repairing.
When there are vacancies in the assigned building(s), he/she should advertise the vacancies, coordinate and show apartments to prospective tenants.
Moreover, this individual is accountable for the financial and operational performance of his/her assigned building(s). Every month, this individual should collect rents from tenants, follow up with any missed payment and deposit the rents to the company's bank account.
Finally, the Building Manager position is responsible for maintaining and fostering positive relationships with tenants to strive for service excellence. Besides the above activities, the candidate is also responsible for any tasks requested by W&M's management.
Major Activities Include:
- Perform routine cleaning throughout the interior and exterior of the assigned building(s).
- Attend to tenants' property related problems and give them immediate attention if the situation allows.
- Co-ordinate the implementation of repairs, maintenance and renovations carried out on building(s) and monitor progress and cost of work for property owners.
- Collect rents from tenants, follow up with any missed payment and deposit the collected rents to the company's bank account.
- Compile and maintain a record on operating expenses and income.
- May advertise vacancies, show apartments to prospective tenants.
- May occasionally move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies as required.
- Perform day-to-day activities with the emphasis on customer orientation
Education Level: Completion of grade 12 or equivalent required
Experience: Previous experience in property management is an asset
- Knowledge of operating industrial vacuum cleaners and snow blowers
- Basic knowledge of computer is required
- Basic knowledge of carpentry, plumbing and electrical is an asset
- Knowledge of first aid/CPR and Senior's health needs is an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong oral communications skills
- Organizational skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Function independently
- Plan, organize and execute work under own initiative
- Coordinate, schedule and instruct work to be performed by sub-contractors
- Perform physical tasks related to building maintenance
- Strong customer orientation
- Strong willingness to learn while receiving coaching
- High level of empathy and desire to assist others
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Supervisory Responsibility:
- Occasionally supervise sub-contractors and building staff
Report directly to Director of Operations (Residential Division)
The incumbent's home is his/her work office, therefore he/she may have to accommodate tenants' request outside of office hours
Salary Package and Benefits:
At Williams and McDaniel Property Management we have a very attractive salary package for our Building Managers. The salary package is broken into the following categories:
The competitive base salary depends on the size of the building and the number of units.
On top of this salary, the building manager is entitled to $21.25 per hour spent on extra work done around the building. A list of approved tasks and maximum allowable hours is available from the HR department.
Accommodation and Communication:
As this is a live-in position, the accommodation is provided by Williams and McDaniel Property Management. In addition to the apartment benefit, the Building Manager is also provided with Hi-Speed internet connection, basic cable and a cell phone for communication.
Every building manager has a $750 health spending account that they can use for any medical expenses.
On top of the base salary, a bonus is also available. Building managers can earn up to $7 per unit more than their base salary. The bonus pay is performance based.
In addition to the incentive-based compensation, 55% of the bonus earned will be deposited in a deferred pension plan, the building manager has to be with the company for at least 2 years before they have access to these funds.
Complete training is provided, but previous experience in a similar role is an asset.
Williams & McDaniel Property Management is an equal opportunity employer. It is the Company's policy to recruit and select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications, with emphasis on selecting the best-qualified person for the job. Williams & McDaniel Property Management does not discriminate against applicants based on race, colour, religion, gender, national origin or disability or any other status or condition protected by applicable deferral, provincial or municipal law.